Day 1: CUSCO – SORAYPAMPA
We start the day picking you up from your hotel from 6.00 in the morning, then we take you on a tourist bus passing through the towns of Izcuchaca and Limatambo arriving at Mollepata (2,900 masl) where we will be at approximately 9.00 AM here we will have breakfast for then board our vehicle and go to Soraypampa (3900masl) where we will be arriving at 11.00 pm here we will take our lunch, being also our first camp, we rest and after eating we will go to the beautiful Humantay lagoon whose ascent is approximately less than 2 hours where we will reach the impressive lagoon, (4,220 masl) here we can appreciate the turquoise color of the lagoon and the snowy Apu Humantay. We begin to descend for an hour to our camp in Soraypampa for tea time which is approximately at 17.00 pm then we will have our delicious dinner prepared by our chef, finally we will go to our tents to rest.
Day 2: SORAYMAPA –SALKANTAY- CHAULLAY
At 5:00 am we will have a nutritious breakfast to start our walk, we start from Soraypamapa to the highest point of Abra Salkantay (3 hours) where we can appreciate the imposing snow-capped mountains, Humantay, Tucarhuay, Pumasillo and Salkantay (4650 masl) passing through Salkantaypampa and Soyrococha where we will appreciate a small lagoon, we will begin the descent to Huayracmachay (3 hours) (3800 masl) where we will take our lunch then we will continue the walk where you will notice a dramatic change in the landscape, this hike is really impressive Then we continue down to Chaullay (3 hours) (2900 masl), where it will be our second camp, we will have our hot drink and snacks for dinner and rest in our tents.
Day 3: CHAULLAY – PLAYA SAHUAYACO – SANTA TERESA
We will have our breakfast at 06.00 am, then we will walk for approximately 6 hours, all through our jungle eyebrow with ascents, descents and plains, in this way we will appreciate coffee plantations, orchids, begonias, bromeliads and many natural plants used for natural medicine, arriving at our lunch point in Playa Sahuayaco where we will have our “buffet” lunch, finally we will board a bus from Sahuayaco to the next camp in Playa, Santa Teresa district. Arriving at this place we will have the option to visit the thermal baths located in Cocalmayo - Santa Teresa (highly recommended for swimming and relaxing in these crystalline and hot waters, admission tickets and consumptions are not included in our package), we return to our camp to 06.00 pm, to have our tea, snacks, then have dinner and rest.
CHAULLAY –PLAYA (14 KM. 5 HOURS)
Day 4: SANTA TERESA –HIDROELECTRICA-AGUAS CALIENTES.
The sunrise will be within a tropical area of lush vegetation, there our breakfast awaits us ready to taste, we continue our walk observing spectacular panoramas of the river and the cloud forest of Santa Teresa towards Hydroelectric where we have lunch in a chosen restaurant, after this , we will continue our trek through the tropical zone and along the side of the railway to the town of Aguas Calientes to settle in the hostel and wait for dinner at 6.30 pm. Overnight
SANTA TERESA-HIDROELECTRICA-AGUAS CALIENTES (14 KM, 5 HOURS)
Day 5: AGUAS CALIENTES- MACHUPICCHU – CUSCO
In the morning at approximately 5.00 am we have breakfast to take the bus and ascend to the majestic Inca city of Machupicchu which we will visit accompanied by our guide for approximately 2 hours, the rest of the day free during which you can visit (optional is not included In the package) Huayna Picchu, Inti Punku, or Machupicchu Mountain, we return to the town of Aguas Calientes, after lunch and wait for our afternoon train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (depending on the availability of spaces and schedules), finally our transfer to return by tourist car to Cusco.
Questions & Answers
What time does this tour depart from Puerto Maldonado and arrive back in?
Arriving by bus?
- For people arriving by bus we start at 8:30 a.m departing from our office in Puerto Maldonado
Arriving by Plane?
- The first plane arriving to Puerto Maldonado is around 10:00 am and the last plane arrives at 4 p.m , so our first group will start the tour around 11:20
- For peope arriving later than 12:00 pm we will start tour around 1:00 p.m, for LATAM airlines arriving at 4:00 p.m we will start thetour as soon as posible
Already in Puerto Maldonado?
- For people that are already in a hotel the pick up will be around 8:00 a.m and start tour at 8:30 a.m approximately
What to bring for this 4 days tambopata tour?
Amazon Rainforest suggested list excursion
- Backpack rain cove
- Mesh laundry bag
- Toiletry bag with hygiene essentials
- one quart largemouth water bottles (we will provide you with water so you can refill it any time)
- Small headlamp with a L.E.D. bulb & extra batteries
- water shoes ( We will provide you with rubber boots at Jungle Lodge)
- Chaco o Teva type sandals
- 1 bottle of DEET bug repellent
- 1 bottle of sun screen (waterproof)
- 4 pairs of socks
- 4 pairs of underwear
- 1 bathing suits
- 2 shorts
- 1 rain jacket or plastic poncho
- 1 long sleeve shirts
- 4 short sleeve shirts
- winter jacket and shell
- 1 sweatshirts or sweaters
- wide brim hat
Pocket size English/Spanish dictionary
Guide book for Peru (lonely planet, rough guide, or similar) At least 1 novel to read
- 1 set Gore-Tex (or similar waterproof breathable material) pants and jacket storm gear
- Watch with alarm
- snorkel, fins, mask
- approach or summer hiking boot
- digital camera
Useful things to know before you go
- S/. Sol
- $/. Dollar
There are no vaccines required to enter Peru. If you decide to take medicines. These are suggested indications, so please visit your doctor before you travel.
- For HEPATITIS B
Recommended for Peru. Normally 2 months before travel.
- For RABIES
Recommended for Peru. Normally 1 month before travel.
- For YELLOW FEVER
Recommended for Peru. Normally 10 days before travel.
- Depending on the accommodation in the jungle, electricity hours are limited during the day, most hotels offer several hours in the evening, usually until 10 pm, allowing travelers to charge their personal items.